We are all told and told again to back up our files, well I use two different back up options one is Time machine, the other is just an external hard drive where every image I have ever taken is stored in its raw state.
My external hard drive is spilt into years so 2008,2009 and 2010
next it contains folders in months for example JAN 2010, some folders have clients names on,
so you see I'm all backed up
Ok so here is what happened, I switched on my MAC in the morning to work on some images stored on my external hard drive, every thing was fine and in tact working well, I also had some CF cards with clients RAW images on so backed those up twice, Got a phone call from an old friend so shut down the computer unplugged every thing and went out.
That evening I decided to continue working on some clients images. Duly plugged in the computer and switched it on. Oh what's happening it seemed to take a really long time to load, and when my screen loaded it was a completely different background from the one I had in the morning?, The little rainbow wheel kept spinning and spinning, 30 minutes later it stopped but all my desk top icons were missing?
I clicked on my files folder and rainbow disc kept spinning? Very odd, Then random files kept popping up on the desktop like 3d png more and more files kept appearing in random places, EEK
when my picture folders appeared they were all empty??!!!!
yes every single image had gone, I restarted the MAC guess what? it started fine this time, but not an image to be found, checked my back up all the folders were in tact but empty!
Decided to check my external hard drive on my other computer, At first I was like PHEW, every folder was there . BUT oh no when I clicked on any folder made in 2010, even if it just had a clients name it was empty.
Sensibly I had purchased the APPLE care plan, so called them, they told me to insert the diagnostic care plan utility disc. This checks the MAC for faults well 30 minutes later every thing had passed nothing wrong.
The man talks me through a reinstall while preserving data , err this didn't work either
I then get an appointment at Thurrock only a 100 mile round trip to take my heavy MAC into the APPLE store (have you tried carrying a 21 inch MAC through Lakeside?)
Eventually I get seen 20 minutes after my appointment time, Little guy looks up my case number and says oh its over heating then?? err no I say, he does a trash and burn without any attempt to find lost data, then tells me its fine nothing wrong,
I refuse to take the MAC home 3 days later Apple call me to tell me they have cleaned the MAC as it was dusty so this may have made it over heat, they have install snow leopard for me and Iworks, when can i come and get the computer?
Now my dilemma is what do I do next? Obviously the external hard drive is going off to try and have the data retrieved, Yet talking to companies that do this there seems little hope as MAC is LINUX based and has its own way of saving data.. Lost of earning for me is extremely high. So where do I go from here what do I do next
Sunday, 25 July 2010
Thursday, 15 July 2010
There is no moment that compares to the moment you hold your newborn baby, After 9 months of waiting and feeling uncomfortable and hours of labor your bundle of joy is here
1) Being a mum myself I know this wonderful feeling to you your wrinkle scrunched up little baby will be the best looking baby in the world. Many babies are born with odd shaped heads they may look pointed or look flat, this is normal.
2) Not long after baby arrives it poo,s yes and its like thick black tar, The idea of having some sort of paint scraper comes to mind as this first black stinky poo takes ages to clean off. Not to worry after a couple of these nasty nappy fillers babies poo turns yellow like mustard and even seems to look if it has seeds in it.
3) Babies skin goes through lots of changes and most new borns do not have nice peachy looking skin, Its normal for the skin to be a reddish colour with lots of marks and blotches. I highly recommend scratch mitts as for some reason new babies always seem to scratch their little faces. In the first 4 weeks baby's skin will appear very dry especially in all those little creases .
4) Babies suffer from sticky eyes as they have blocked tear ducts a baby cant cry any tears until around 3 weeks old. Just gentle clean babies eyes with some cool boiled water and cotton wool use a fresh cotton wool ball for each eye.
5) The umbilical cord in UK hospitals a clip is applied to the cord like a huge peg, it will fall off after about 7 days, as the umbilical cord turns yellow then black and falls off.
6) Breast or bottle well to be honest mum the choice is yours. I have done both feeding methods. OK so breast is best or is it? Breast fed babies tend to be more unsettled and want feeding more frequently and seem to be much harder to get into a feeding routine. In the first few days you breast feed you will suffer after pains worse then labor pains. Will your breast get sore? Yes they will, you will also have to watch your diet and wont be able to take any strong pain killers.
If you opt to bottle feed you will know just how much feed your baby has taken, your partner will be able to help, you can eat what you like and take pain killers.
On a personal note I breast fed two of my children and bottle fed two .It has made no difference to their health or growth as they have grown up, nor has it made any difference to their teeth or eye sight, it has not made them more or less intelligent. It has not made them fatter. It’s totally down to choice how you decide to feed your infant.
7) Sleep. Yes babies do sleep a lot in fact they can’t tell the difference between night and day. If this is your first baby seriously take this advice and when baby sleeps you go to sleep. Stuff the housework. Live on ready meals for a few weeks it wont hurt. Sleep deprivation will now become the norm, Says she who lays awake waiting for the 18 year old to come home. If you have a toddler see if grandma or aunt can help and maybe take the toddler off your hands for a few hours in the first weeks. Don’t try and carry on as normal and be super mum do take any offers of help. Even if it’s a friend offering to do your laundry for a few days .
8) Babies breathe really fast about twice as fast as adults they take very shallow breaths, like every parent you will spend hours staring at them to make sure they are breathing. This is perfectly normal all parents do it.
9) Babies can’t figure out how to breath through their mouths if their nose is blocked up, hence all the snorting and sneezing
10) Babies are wonderful and precious, Babies are an everyday miracle, here you are holding this new little life you have created. Make the most of it lots of cuddles you cant spoil a baby by loving it. The more you hold baby the better, you are not going to turn it into some clingy little spoilt monster, After all do you remember being a baby?
From Mum to Mum babies grow up they are not forever, they soon turn into cheeky toddlers, then into small children where they start to question the world around them and form their own ideas, next comes the tweenie stage at about 8 years where you will be told “I HATE YOU”, then the teenage stage in boys this stage lasts forever, sulking moaning, the URGH response when asked something.
Cherish each moment with your baby, as babies don’t keep.
Lastly if you would like some beautiful pictures of your new baby taken in the comfort of your own home, with plenty of time for feeding and clothing change
All for the special price of £25.00 sitting fee with a free print and a baby proof photographer. Then do please contact me. Guaranteed to handle each new little person with care and to provide you with a wonderful keepsake of the new little person in your life.
Wednesday, 7 July 2010
I visited a lovely family in Diss for the first time in March 2010, unfortunately about 30 minutes after my arrival in March the heavens opened in true British style, The rain just started and went on until dusk fell. Although I got a few good pictures I certainly wasn’t happy. So arranged a free revisit once the weather turned nicer.
So on Sunday 4 July I made the trip back to Diss, the weather was glorious . This meant little A was free to run around her rather large cottage garden while I took her pictures, We even persuaded mum and dad to join in.
Many a time people ask what happens when it rains, well if it rains on your wedding day we have to compromise and take images inside or use props such as umbrellas.
If it rains on the day your lifestyle session is booked as long as the session fee has been paid in full it can be rebooked at no extra charge. In some cases I leave the booking open and once the weather picks up I ring you to schedule a day your available.
Of course many people prefer lifestyle session during the summer months when clothing is lighter and children can be on the beach, Yet don’t dismiss Autumn and winter. I have completed a few wonderful sessions on autumn days with the wonderful tones of golds and reds. Winter has its own beauty dress up warm add a bright scarf and get out in the chilly frost or if your really lucky the snow.
Lifestyle means just that it captures your family style, how you interact together, how you laugh and have fun.
School summer holidays are fast approaching and to give people the chance of sampling a lifestyle session I have lowed my family session price to just £30, this offer will include a free print of your choice as well as the many options to purchase prints,canvas,other wall hanging options and photo-books.
Remember a Lifestyle photo session can take place where you like, maybe your garden, a park or beach, Maybe some where special to you. No upright studio poses no say cheese. What better way to capture the true spirit of your family and memories of your children that will last forever
Visit my website Andrea's photography or give me a call
I believe a photo session should be about what you want not what the photographer wants